Saturday, September 20, 2008

The joy of giving

Everybody talks about giving back to the society, the world, to the human kind. Be a giver, is what I hear from a lot of people. Don't hoard stuff! So I ask myself, what is the big deal anyway?

Isn't life about getting things for yourself and doing things that will bring you happiness? Why would I want to give away my new t-shirts, new shoes or caps? Haven't I bought them (in the first place) so that I can enjoy? What is wrong if I am selfish? After all, I'm taking care of my needs. Big deal!

More introspections and my attention moves towards people I know who are givers! One person really stands out. We know him as "buddy", well thats what Kitty has nick named him. So everytime we get stuff together for each other, I have been observing that he gives away all those goodies to his friends. Just like that. Caps that we searched through all those stores.!! Handpicked tshirts!!, Belts, perfumes, etc, etc. I always wondered how he could do that! It really isn't about the money that is spent? I am more so talking about all the effort and time spent and you just to give it away?

I'm not contradicting myself here, but when I look back over the years, I haven't been too selfish myself. More than anything, giving is really a joy, an overwhelming feeling that pervades your heart. I have learnt to give too, but I've never gone overboard really? (If you know what I mean?). So anyway, after a lot of threats from CP, my childhood sweetheart, I made up my mind to gift a music system. Ofcourse it would be mine eventually! Turning over to the actual shopping itself? I was overjoyed when I was able to get the onkyo lr-522. She is such a beauty! So yeah, I intend to talk about the joy of giving today. But when I saw this polk, my heart jumped with joy!! You know what? I was jumping for the fact that my friend was going to own this beauty in a few days and be able to hear the awesome music! Something that I might never be able to! Remember, I'm in India and these things can cost a bomb!! There are good chances that I might never own such a system.

Eventually, it so happened that I was able to get a B&W floor standing speaker and ship it to CP. Even the name scares me, cuz they are so damn costly! Let's not find out how much I got it for! It was in its own way a sort of a cheap bomb:-). What will remain in my heart is the joy I got out of this whole experience. Like I said earlier, I might never own a B&W; but the fact that my friend is able to is such a wonderful feeling. I almost would enjoy music through his ears. Isn't it awesome?

Atleast after reading this, I hope the speaker cables will be connected and music heard!

So here I am, finally, writing about two great friends. One a sweet guy and another a sweet prick!! I don't need to say who is who, cuz they know very well what they are!!

No comments: